Sunday, March 09, 2008

First day with the full crew and sad news

We completed our first day with our (almost) full crew. The medical team had their first day of their clinic. They treated 26 dental patients, dispensed 126 glasses and treated 105 medical patients. The best news is that everyone received their Steps to Christ (thanks to Elena Perez) and was invited to the meetings. People were genuinely excited about the meetings that started tonight.

Our usual morning prayer before we start our day
We completed the fourth course on the church and started the 5th. We moved a little slowly today, but that is because we had a lot of new team members that have never worked construction before. We will move more quickly tomorrow.


The church at the end of the first day with a (nearly) full team


We pray that our remaining three team members arrive safely tomorrow. We have arrangements worked out for their transportation.

I received some terrible news at 11:48 Chile time today. My phone can make but not receive calls. Rachael had emailed me, but couldn't call me. I finally got her text message to call her urgently. That is never a good sign. So, I went into the tool shed to call her and she was crying and told me I needed to be in a good place and to sit down (also never a good sign). Expecting the worst, I did and she told me that her father, John Mutchler, had died of a heart attack this morning. I am very glad that I was in the shed because I am not ashamed to say that I completely lost it. I haven't cried so much since my grandparents funerals.


John H. W. Mutchler (1944-2008)
John was a devoted father to my wife, Rachael, and her brother (and my friend) JJ. John was a wonderful pastor, good friend and most importantly, a true warrior for God and always wanted to share the news about his best friend, Jesus.
John Garofalo hapened to be in the shed at the same time getting his lunch out of the cooler and clearly knew I was in distress and that something was terribly wrong. I will always thank him for being there-he didn't even know what was wrong, but held his arm around me while I cried my guts out for Rachael's loss and for my loss of a great father inlaw and a greater friend and person.

I would have never expected to hear the news of John's death in a shack in Chile thousands of miles away from Rachael. I will miss John terribly. He was a great father to Rachael and JJ (her brother). I will eternally thank him for raising my best friend, Rachael, and instilling in her a deep love for God and a passion for sports! John was our pastor for years and our families were together a lot. He knew that I cared for Rachael and did everything he could to get us together. He often said that if he could have picked anyone for Rachael, it would have been me.
The shack where I heard about John's passing. Not sure why I took this picture, but it seemed appropriate.

I loved the fact that John was the one that performed Rachael and my wedding ceremony. I will also remember the summer of my senior year in college where John and I played a lot of golf and he would give me tips on how to win Rachael's heart.

John at our wedding. It was a wonderful to have him perform the ceremony

I am sad that he never got a chance to see the Lions in the super bowl. I could sit and watch sports with John for hours and we would often talk about his teams on the phone.

The thing that I am saddest about is that he won't be able to finish the work that God had put before him with his new church in Weatherford. After being out of the ministry for years, he had recently accepted a call as a lay pastor in Weatherford and had found his place.

God truly is amazing and has a plan for all of this. Now we all know the real reasons why Rachael wasn't supposed to be with us in Chile. I am blessed with a tremendously perceptive and spiritually aware wife. She had never felt at peace with her role on the Chile trip and didn't feel like she was supposed to be here. She had some other ministries and people she is working with in Houston that she is working with that are her passion. When she found out she had some skin cancer that needed to be removed, that was the final call from God saying "you aren't supposed to be on this trip". Now we know why and we praise God for his leading.

I am finding blessings in this from the support of the team members here. John Garofalo and Michelle Battistone were a real support to me in the tool shack and I thank them for that. Claudell had a beautiful prayer for Rachael, me and her family at worship tonight that I will treasure. Leigh also had some wonderful things to say about God's leading and I thank everyone else on the trip for their kind words and encouragement.

We don't know details on the service yet. I will most likely head back early, but probably not till construction is complete. Keep the group in your prayers along with Rachael and her family.

UPDATE: John's funeral services were held on Wednesday the 19th. It was attended by friends, family and his co-workers from two different city emergency services departments. What a beautiful service and celebration of life and remembrance of John and what he meant to so many people. I honestly believe it was the longest memorial service I have ever attended. So many people wanted an opportunity to say a few words about what John meant to them and / or how he impacted their lives. John led many people to Christ. His life serves as a reminder to me that we may be the only Jesus some people ever see.

While the service was very tough emotionally for me (seeing my friend buried and moreso, seeing Rachael and her brother struggle with their emotions over the loss of their father), it was very uplifting because if reinforces that God is in control of everything. Most importantly, John is at rest in Christ and will arise with the rest of the faithful on that glorious morning with Jesus returns.

We still don't have internet, so no pics till we return.

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.

12 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Greg, Clayton and I are so sad to hear about John. My heart aches for Rachael and the distance between you both. But like you have written here, I am so grateful that God impressed on Rachael to stay home from the mission trip. Again, God IS GOOD; and he takes care of us in this unstable world. Clayton and I are praying for you all. Much love to you and Rachael, JJ and Sharon and the rest of the family.

Anonymous said...

I remember all the love that Pastor John bestowed on our Eastwood family when he pastored here; we had to have two church services for a while because he loved so many to the Lord! I am thankful to know that he had returned to the work and we are all blessed to have the assurance of seeing him again in heaven. Our prayers are with you, Rachel and the families.

Peggy said...

Greg, what a beautiful tribute to your father-in-law. I had the privilege of knowing him while he attended our church. I often told him what an incredible woman his daughter is. My love and prayers are with you and Rachael. Hurry home and cradle her in your arms.

Anonymous said...

Dear Greg~
I just found this website when trying to find information about Pastor John. Our names are Gary and Anne Piper, our children are, Becky, Leighanne and Brett. Thanks to your father-in-law John, we were brought to the saving grace of Jesus! He baptized Gary and I at the churdh and We attended Eastwood Church for over one year and the kids all attended Eastwood Academy for several years. Gary and I still serve the Lord and Gary is an elder at The Vineyard Church in Johnstown. All our children and all 12 of our grandchildren attend with us and our born again as well.(My niece Amy and her family just joined the church too, and John brought her to the Lord when she was young and dedicated her first child!) Becky's husband leads worship there too. So....John's love and work continues!!
Our hearts are just grieved by the loss of John! We have often thought of, talked of and prayed for you all. Our prayer had always been that he returned to his calling as far as pastoring, so we were heartbroken over him beginning his ministry again because he has now passed away.... yet, rejoicing that he is now with his Savior and his King. John left an awesome impression of Jesus to everyone he met, including Uncle Merle. Gary and Merle hunted with him on sereral occassions. John was an example of what a real man could be and should be in Christ. His love was as deep as he was tall and what a "gentle giant" he was! His sense of humor and
laugh could never be forgotten by anyone who had the privilage in knowing him!
He loved his children without condition.
The world lost the greatest man of God that we have ever known! You may email me at:
annepiper@embarqmail.com
if you wish to reply. Please again, accept our deepest sympathies and condolences in your loss and share them Rachael,JJ and Family! But, be encouraged that you will all live together in eternity FOREVER, one day!
Blessings To All~
Gary and Anne Piper
10778 Briar Rd.
Centerburg, Ohio 43011
740-893-9262

Nicole said...

i know we don't know you but i wanted to say i am so terribly sorry for your loss. it was such a blessing to have such a close relationship, which makes the loss that much more difficult. you are in my prayers this evening.

Anonymous said...

you all have been and continue to be very frequently in our thoughts and prayers, love, Bonnie & Caleb

Barbara said...

I don't know you, except as fellow "commenters" (and thus, friends?) on Angela's blog. I'm so very sorry to hear about your father in law's passing. He sounds like a wonderful man and I can tell how greatly he will be missed. May his memory be a blessing to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Greg and Rachael - I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. John must have been a wonderful father to have raised such a sweet daughter. Our prayers are with you both and Rachael's family. We have this hope that burns within our hearts - Hope in the coming of the Lord - Even so, come Lord Jesus. Love Robyn Legan

Anonymous said...

Greg:

Our sentiments are shared with so many others. Without internet, I know that you cannot read this right now, but our hearts our with you during this loss. Much love to you, Rachael, and the family.

In our prayers,
-The Antle Family, Eastwood SDA, Columbus, Ohio

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,

Oh, how you have blessed and comforted us all with your prayers, kind words, love and support.

Amidst the grieving we are praising God for allowing us the blessing of having such a wonderful friend and earthly father/brother/husband/friend in our lives. God has blessed and loved us all greatly through him.

The Lord is revealing his almighty power and grace in the most beautiful and strengthening ways. It is our continued prayers to remain comforted and strong in him and that his will be done in each of our lives and his name glorified in all things.

Below, we have listed some information for your consideration and prayers regarding John JB Mutchler's memorial:

Services will be held on Wednesday, March 19th at 11:00 a.m. at the Keene SDA Church (this is the SWAU Church). The physical address is: 114 North Fairview Street, Keene, Texas 76059. The main telephone number is: 817.641.9804.

The funeral home is located at: 1664 West Henderson, Cleburne, Texas 76033. The main telephone number is 817.641.4800.

The nearest airports are: Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) and Dallas Lovefield.

The closest hotels are: The La Quinta Inn & Suites located at: 107 E. Kilpatrick, Cleburne, TX (note: this is one of the newest hotels and probably the most reasonable); Comfort Inn and Suites at: 2117 North Main Street, Cleburne, TX (note: this hotel is new as well); and The Holiday Inn Express at: 1800 W Henderson Street, Cleburne, TX.

The family has requested that in lieu of flowers a donation be made in JB's honor for the ministry that was closest to his heart--spreading to others the good news of Jesus Christ through ministry and friendship. It is our desire that all love offerings be given towards this ministry. God recently blessed JB by opening the door to a dynamic ministry at the Weatherford Church where he had planned to follow thru with his passion of friendship evangelism. Please forward any love gifts to the W. Houston SDA Church noting that it is a memorial offering in JBs honor. The address is: 2390 W. Sam Houston Pkwy, N., Houston, TX 77043. After the offerings are gathered they will then be forwarded to the Weatherford church in memory of JB Mutchler.

May God keep us all very close to him.

Our deepest gratitude and Godly love,

The loving family and friends of John 'JB' Mutchler

Anonymous said...

Greg, I dont know you how you made it through being so far from Rachael. I'm glad you had wonderful friends all around you. Yeah, John raised such a wonderful beautiful, spirited and wise daughter. She is a blessing for sure. It is a big loss to both of you, but hold on to God's unchanging love. We will continue to keep you all in prayer. God bless you and love you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi. You don't know me, but my name is Emily. When I was a kid, I attended a church called Church of the Advent Hope. For several years, John Mutchler was the pastor there. Anyway, I had been thinking about him a lot the last few days, so I decided to Google him to see what he had been up to.

I can't exactly tell you just how much my heart ached when I read your blog. Pastor John was a kind, compassionate, warm, and funny man. He made a huge impact on my and my family's life. He extended himself to us, and went above and beyond to be there. He even took my brother to Yankee games. He was a sort of surrogate father that we never had. I told my friends and family about Pastor John, and they were equally devistated.

I decided to comment on this blog to reiterate something you already know: Pastor John touched the lives of many people he came into contact with. He was such a wonderful person, friend, and pastor. Thank you for writing this blog. While it broke my heart reading it, I am glad to know he's okay.

Above the best,
Emily Grace (nee Sanchez)
mrs.emily.grace@gmail.com